Landers opened the scoring with an 83-yard pass play to Malcolm Murray, who caught a short pass, broke one tackle and was off to the races just 23 seconds into the game. Serra scored on its next possession when Landers’ 18-yard pass play to Murray (seven catches, 156 yards) set up Winston’s 32-yard scamper into the end zone. Serra led, 14-0, with 7:20 left in the first quarter. Winston added a 55-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. “We watched them play Peninsula and North Torrance and it’s all big plays with them,” Torrance coach Rock Hollis said. “They don’t grind it out. They like big plays and that’s how they beat us tonight.” Serra helped Torrance (2-2) stay in the game with 10 penalties for 78 yards. The Tartars took advantage by continuing to pound the ball. With 3:18 left in the second quarter, Torrance went 64 yards on 10 plays, highlighted by fullback Ryan Davis’ 21-yard gain on a trap, and culminated by Keami Owens’ 1-yard touchdown plunge, his first score of the season. Owens had 23 carries for 125 yards for Torrance, which pulled to within 28-14 with the touchdown. Even when winning the game was out of reach, Torrance kept plugging away on the ground. In the fourth quarter, Owens’ 19-yard run set up Davis’ 9-yard touchdown scamper to pull Torrance to within 35-21 with 5:42 left. Torrance stopped Serra on its next possession, then drove to the Cavaliers’ 5-yard line before a fourth-down pass by Jack McCormick sailed long. “We didn’t play tough against West last week,” Hollis said. “We worked on being tougher in practice. “Our object was to run the ball better and by God we ran the heck out of the ball.” Davis had nine carries for 78 yards and a touchdown and Michael Andrews had 25 carries for 65 yards and a touchdown for Torrance. Serra had to show some grit of its own in the second half. With three starting linemen out of action, the Cavaliers had to rely on backups to stop Torrance’s running game. In the second half, Torrance’s possessions ended on a fumble, a punt, a touchdown and once it turned the ball over on downs. Junior Anthony Carpenter had a 52-yard fumble return for a touchdown in the second quarter to help Serra’s cause. firstname.lastname@example.orgWant local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PREP FOOTBALL: Winston gains 215 yards on 17 carries to lead the Cavaliers by the Tartars. By Dave Thorpe Staff writer Torrance showed grit. Serra countered with athleticism. Torrance ground it out. Serra moved swiftly across the field. Torrance did what it set out to do on offense, rushing for 268 yards and three touchdowns. But Serra’s big-play ability on both sides of the ball was too much for Torrance. Serra had more than 200 yards on the ground and through the air and did just enough on defense to emerge with a 35-21 nonleague victory Thursday night at Torrance. Junior running back Carl Winston did a lot of the damage for Serra (3-0), rushing for 215 yards and three touchdowns on 17 carries. Winston’s 23-yard touchdown run with 9:01 left in the fourth quarter gave Serra a 35-14 lead, finally putting away a pesky Tartars squad that refused to go away. “Big ups to Torrance,” Winston said. “They came out hard. But we got the win.” Even with an inexperienced offensive line, Serra showed a balanced offense. Quarterback Ted Landers was 10-for-17 passing for 206 yards and a touchdown.
Luiz never made a competitive appearance for Manchester City REVEALED targets LIVING THE DREAM moving on Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? three-way race Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Villa have signed ten new players since winning the Championship play-off final in May, taking their summer spending to more than £100million. Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father 1 Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January LATEST The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing “Aston Villa is delighted to announce the signing of Douglas Luiz subject to a work permit,” the club said on their official website.Luiz, 21, joined City from hometown club Vasco da Gama in 2017, but he never featured for Pep Guardiola’s side and spent the last two seasons on loan at Spanish side Girona.Villa boss Dean Smith added: “Douglas is an extremely talented young player with an outstanding pedigree, who I am sure will fit nicely into our style and system of play.”Luiz played a key role as Brazil Under-21s won the Toulon Tournament last month and was named player of the tournament. TOP WORK LATEST TRANSFER NEWS Aston Villa have made their tenth signing this summer as Brazilian midfielder Douglas Luiz has joined from Manchester City.The Villans, who won promotion back to the Premier League last season, have landed Luiz for an undisclosed fee. Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti targets getty Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer Aston Villa warned of ‘doing a Fulham’ by ex-Premier League managerWhen does the Premier League transfer window close?
Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde hailed Lionel Messi’s competitive spirit as his finest assetSince debuting against Jose Mourinho’s FC Porto in November 2003, Messi has become regarded as one of the greatest of all time with five Ballon d’Ors and a record 573 goals in 657 games for Barcelona.Aside from that, Messi has also won 32 titles at Camp Nou and is still going strong at the age of 31 with a league-best of 15 goals and 10 assists in just 15 games in La Liga.The Argentine forward was named as Barcelona captain at the start of this season following Andres Iniesta’s departure and appears to have settled into the role well.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“What I’d most highlight about Leo Messi is his huge sense of responsibility for the team. It shows in every game in every competition,” Valverde told BarcaTV.“What he does is not only difficult, but he does it again and again … That takes enormous mental strength.“I have never known anyone with such an amazing competitive spirit.”Messi and Barcelona will return to action on Sunday away to Getafe in La Liga where they will hope to collect a win and maintain their three-point lead over second-place Atletico Madrid.
Categories: California News, Local San Diego News, National & International News, Politics FacebookTwitter AP Pentagon sends nearly 4,000 troops to the Southwest border February 3, 2019 AP, WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon said Sunday it will send 3,750 more troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to put up another 150 miles of concertina wire and provide other support for Customs and Border Protection.The additions will bring the total number of active-duty troops on the border to 4,350.The announcement is in line with what Acting Defense Secretary Pat Shanahan had said on Tuesday when he provided estimates for the next phase of a military mission that has grown in size and length. Critics have derided it as a political ploy by the White House as President Donald Trump seeks billions to build a border wall.Shanahan said on Tuesday that several thousand more troops would be sent mainly to install additional wire barriers and provide a large new system of mobile surveillance and monitoring of the border area. Sunday’s announcement said the mobile surveillance mission would last through Sept. 30.Members of Congress have question whether the border mission is distracting troops from their main work of fighting extremists abroad and training for combat. The first active-duty troops were sent to the border on about Oct. 30 for a mission that was to end Dec. 15. It has since been extended twice.“What impact does it have to readiness to send several thousand troops down to the Southern border? It interrupts their training. It interrupts their dwell time,” Rep. Adam Smith, D-Wash., chairman of the House Armed Services Committee said at a hearing on Tuesday.Vice Adm. Mike Gilday, the director of operations for the Joint Staff, told the panel that he does not believe military readiness has been significantly affected. He said some units have missed training opportunities because of the deployment and others have seen less time at home between deployments than the military likes to provide.But he said there is an effort to rotate service members in and out of the mission every six to eight weeks in order to minimize any impact. Posted: February 3, 2019
YouTube is making changes to its recommendation system. NurPhoto/Getty YouTube is changing its recommendation system in an attempt to reduce the spread of misinformation and conspiracy theories. On Friday, YouTube said it’ll start reducing recommendations of borderline content, or videos that come close to but don’t “quite cross the line” of violating its Community Standards. For example, the company said this’ll include “videos promoting phony miracle cure for a serious illness, claiming the earth is flat, or making blatantly false claims about historic events like 9/11.”YouTube said the change will impact less than 1 percent of videos on the site. The videos will still be available to watch on YouTube; they just won’t be included in recommendations. “We think this change strikes a balance between maintaining a platform for free speech and living up to our responsibility to users,” the company said in a blog post.In 2018, YouTube’s product chief said more than 70 percent of the time people spent watching videos on the site, they were drawn in by one of its AI-driven recommendations. YouTube said Friday that more than 200 million videos are recommended each day on its homepage alone.The change will initially only affect recommendations in the US and will roll out to more countries over time, YouTube said.Infowars and Silicon Valley: Everything you need to know about the tech industry’s free speech debate.Netpicks: What’s on your favorite video streaming sites around the web. Comments 3 Tags Share your voice YouTube Digital Media
Facebook/Prashant KanojiaThe Supreme Court on Tuesday, June 11, ordered the immediate release of journalist Prashant Kanojia on bail. Kanojia was arrested on June 8 by the Uttar Pradesh Police for allegedly “defaming” Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on social media platforms, including Twitter and Facebook.Hearing a petition filed by Kanojia’s wife Jagisha Arora, a vacation bench of the SC, comprising justices Indira Banerjee and Ajay Rastogi, said that though they do not appreciate the tweet, this was not a case of murder and the judicial custody till June 22 is “not appropriate”.”Liberty of citizen is sacrosanct and non-negotiable. It is guaranteed by the Constitution and it cannot be infringed,” Justice Banerjee said.Condemning the UP government’s argument, the SC reportedly said, “Have you ever come across remand for 11 days in such a case? Sit behind the bars day after day and challenge the order? That is not a very fair stand.”Arora had filed a haebus corpus petition, challending Kanojia’s arrest and demanded for a direction to the Uttar Pradesh Police to release him without any delay. The plea had also sought departmental action against the policemen, who were not in uniform, for arresting Kanojia from Delhi for “bailable offences”, and “exemplary damages” for Kanojia for his “illegal arrest”.”The Hindi journalist was unceremoniously taken away by men in civil dress on June 8 from his Delhi residence. It transpires that on June 7, police officials of Police Station Hazaratganj at Lucknow had lodged an FIR against him under sections 500 (criminal defamation) of the IPC and 66 of the Information Technology (IT) Act and both offences are bailable,” the plea had said.Section 505 (statements conducing to public mischief) of the IPC and Section 67 (Punishment for publishing or transmitting obscene material in electronic form) of the IT Act were added later to the FIR. Arora’s petition says, “Neither of these sections are even prima-facie made out”.Addressing the media after the judgment, Arora said that she is happy and hopes for Kanojia to come out of jail as soon as possible. Her lawyer Shadan Farasat also reportedly said they will approach the Delhi High Court to quash the FIR against Kanojia.Four people, including Kanojia, Anuj Shukla, who is the editor of Noida-based TV channel Nation Live and Ishika Singh, the channel’s head, were arrested in two days on charges of posting allegedly objectionable content about the Uttar Pradesh CM.Kanojia was arrested for allegedly sharing a video on Twitter and Facebook, in which a woman is seen speaking to reporters of various media organisations outside Yogi Adityanath’s office, claiming that she had sent him a marriage proposal.The Editors Guild of India condemned the arrests on June 9, saying that the police action “amounts to an authoritarian misuse of law”.The Editors Guild of India has issued a statement pic.twitter.com/fdczdNDwyz— Editors Guild of India (@IndEditorsGuild) June 9, 2019 The statement issued by the guild also called it “an effort to intimidate the press, and stifle freedom of expression.”
Tags: Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, Hawaii Posted by Tuesday, October 25, 2016 The Fairmont Kea Lani has much to boast about, after earning the distinction of ‘2015 Hotel of the Year’ for the Fairmont Hotels & Resorts Americas region. The all-suite and villa luxury resort was recognized by the brand for achieving best overall operating performance along with outstanding guest satisfaction.Each year Fairmont Hotels & Resorts selects the winner of the Hotel of the Year distinction by combining guest experiences scores with financial performance. Fairmont Kea Lani earned its first place title with exceptional performance scores in each category. The Maui resort was also recognized for launching a guest problem resolution initiative aimed at empowering colleagues to minimize the steps involved in resolving guest issues. This initiative was subsequently adopted by all hotels as a best practice.“We are extremely proud to earn the distinguished recognition of Fairmont Hotels & Resorts 2015 Hotel of the Year,” said Charles Head, general manager, Fairmont Kea Lani on Maui. “It is rewarding to see the resort meet success in each of our brand pillars following the completion of our $70 million renovation and considerable investments in the areas of sustainability and guest experience. Our colleagues are passionate about providing the highest level of service as well as sharing the traditions and culture of Hawaii with our guests.”Guest can discover the essence of Maui at Fairmont Kea Lani, Hawaii’s only all-suite and villa luxury resort. Nestled on the pristine white sands of Wailea’s Polo Beach, this award-winning oceanfront resort features an island inspired spa, culinary and cultural experiences. For more information, visit Fairmont.com/KeaLani. Travelweek Group Share Fairmont Kea Lani earns Hotel of the Year distinction << Previous PostNext Post >>
Tags: Rocky Mountaineer Wednesday, November 23, 2016 Share Posted by Travelweek Group << Previous PostNext Post >> [PEOPLE] Rocky Mountaineer exec named one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women VANCOUVER — Karen Hardie, Vice President of Global Sales for Rocky Mountaineer, has been named one of Canada’s Top 100 Most Powerful Women in 2016 by the Women’s Executive Network.As an integral member of Rocky Mountaineer’s executive team, Hardie has held several senior positions within the company and is currently responsible for the strategic direction and worldwide sales of Rocky Mountaineer vacations. Her international leadership experience and innovative nature have played a critical role in increasing Rocky Mountaineer’s annual revenue, profitability, and overall market share.“On behalf of Rocky Mountaineer, I congratulate Karen on her achievement. She is an incredibly deserving recipient for this award,” said Steve Sammut, President of Rocky Mountaineer. “We feel extremely fortunate to have Karen on our team, with her passion for leadership and people development, as well as her international business experience in hospitality and tourism.”Hardie’s 30-year career path has spanned the globe, with senior positions in Canada, the United States, Australia, Hong Kong, and South Korea. Karen joined Rocky Mountaineer in 2012 as Director of Sales for the USA and, in 2013, relocated to the company’s head office in Vancouver to work as Director of Global Sales Operations. Two years later, she earned a promotion to her current role as VP of Global Sales, where she restructured the business unit to increase sales, enhance efficiencies, and improve team cohesion.
Tags: Disney, Theme Parks & Attractions Share << Previous PostNext Post >> Thursday, March 15, 2018 Travelweek Group Posted by Disney World to start charging parking fees for resort guests ORLANDO — Walt Disney World hotel guests will soon be charged a fee to park their cars overnight.The fee, which has been confirmed by Walt Disney World, starts with reservations made after March 21. According to the company, “standard overnight self-parking is available to registered guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon checkout.”The new standard parking fees (which include tax) are as follows:Disney Value Resorts: US$13 per nightDisney Moderate Resorts: $19 per nightDisney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per nightDisney Deluxe Resorts Valet Parking: $33 per nightThere are a few who will be exempt from the fees: Disney Vacation Club Members, guests at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort, guests dining or just visiting the resorts for the day, Disney cast members, as well as guests with disabilities.Guests who make a resort reservation before March 21 will not be charged for overnight parking.More news: TRAVELSAVERS welcomes Julie Virgilio to the teamFree parking will still be available to Disney hotel guests at Walt Disney World theme parks.