Torres’s attorney, Brian Sun, said his client will contest the charges. Prosecutors allege Torres provided Carmona a condominium, truck and cashin an attempt to get a permit to sell alcohol at one of his stores. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The owner of a grocery-store chain has been indicted on federal racketeering charges alleging that he ran a criminal enterprise that orchestrated murders, bribed city officials, laundered money and aided drug traffickers, authorities said Wednesday. George Torres, who owns 11 Numero Uno markets scattered across the city, faced racketeering, violence in aid of racketeering, tax evasion and fraud charges, according to a 59-count grand jury indictment unsealed Wednesday. Seven others, including former Los Angeles Planning Commissioners Steve Carmona and George Luk, were also charged in the case. Torres, 50, was arrested at his Arcadia home and ordered held without bail during his first court appearance Wednesday. If convicted of all counts, he could face up to life in prison.
Dennis Pruitt, dean of students, said the fire appears to have affected two Greek organizations – the Delta Delta Delta sorority and the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity. Earlier in the day, a campus minister at the sorority house declined to comment, as did an adult who answered the door at the fraternity house. Messages left with the national headquarters of the organizations were not immediately returned. The fire struck sometime before 7 a.m. and burned completely through the first and second floors, leaving only part of the frame standing. The waterfront home – named “Changing Channels” – was built on stilts, forcing firefighters to climb a ladder onto the house’s deck to reach the first living floor. The house was a total loss. “We ran down the street to get away,” said Nick Cain, a student at the University of North Carolina who was staying at a house about 100 feet away. “The ash and the smoke were coming down on us. We were just trying to get away.” Cain was one of the dozens of college students who filled at least four houses within a block of the burned home. Neighbor Jeff Newsome said the students were going back and forth between the houses all weekend long. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! DISASTER: Six survive the blaze. Most were from the University of South Carolina. By The Associated Press OCEAN ISLE BEACH, N.C. – An intense fire ravaged a beach house packed with more than a dozen college students early Sunday, killing seven and leaving little of the structure but its charred frame and the stilts on which it stood. Six survivors were hospitalized and released, including one who jumped from the burning home and into a waterway, Mayor Debbie Smith said. The cause was being investigated. “There were three kids sitting on the ground screaming,” said newspaper deliverer Tim Burns, who called 911 after seeing a column of smoke rising from the house. “There was one guy hanging out the window, and he jumped in the canal. I know he got out because he was yelling for a girl to follow him.” Burns said he didn’t know whether that girl was able to escape. Officials at the University of South Carolina said six of the students who died were from the school in Columbia; the seventh attended Clemson University. The six who survived were also from the University of South Carolina. The private home was being used by the owner’s daughter and a group of her friends, Smith said. “These are young people in the prime of their life,” University of South Carolina President Andrew Sorensen said at a news conference. “They had so much to look forward to, and it’s just profoundly tragic.” Students will have access to counselors, residence hall advisers and clergy members, Sorensen said. Classes will be held today.
1 German goalkeeper Lorius Karius Jurgen Klopp is wasting no time in strengthening his Liverpool team and is set to add German goalkeeper Loris Karius to his ranks.A £4.7million deal is set to be completed, according to reports, and he’ll be a sight for sore eyes in more ways than one.Reds supporters will be delighted to have some top quality competition for Simon Mignolet, while they’re also happy the player in question happens to be devilishly handsome.Already boastful about having Emre Can in their squad, Liverpool fans seemed more concerned about Karius’ ability to break hearts than stop shots.You can see what they said on Twitter about the imminent transfer below…VIDEO OF KARIUS IN ACTION
Mobile phone users across Donegal have been warned not to answer unusual numbers as they could be part of a scam to download people’s personal information.The numbers have been tracked back to an operator in Nigeria.Once a person answers the phone, their devices will be infiltrated and hackers can download information including credit card details. An increasing number of people have been receiving the calls across Donegal in recent days.People are being warned not to answer the phone if they are suspicious of the number or block the number altogether.The numbers have no resemblance to any local number but appear to being re-routed to connect to Irish numbers at random.Those who have been conned by the scam are encouraging others not to answer their phones at all if suspicious. One woman said “If they are genuine then they will call back. But the wording thing is that these people have access to your personal details at the flick of a button.“Please do not answer any strange number because the reality is that it is a scam and you will be caught.”DONEGAL PUBLIC WARNED OVER PHONE SCAM WHICH DOWNLOADS ALL PERSONAL INFO was last modified: June 14th, 2016 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe joys and headaches of holiday travel: John Phillips165Let’s talk business.Catch up on the business news closest to you with our daily newsletter. Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! MONTEBELLO – Work is just now wrapping on on Montebello’s Whittier Boulevard revitalization project, which disrupted traffic, inconvenienced shoppers and nearly put a few small shop owners out of business. This weekend, the city will hold a celebration marking the end of construction on the $10 million project. But some local business owners say they are just now recovering from the dusty construction, which closed streets and kept customers away. For more on this story, pick up tomorrow’s Whittier Daily News.
1 West Ham and Brighton go into Friday night’s clash on the back of 1-1 draws that were very nearly victories. With that in mind, both sides will be eager to secure all three points at the London Stadium. But which team do the stats suggest will fare best?This will be the first top-flight meeting between West Ham and Brighton since March 1983West Ham have won just one of their four top-flight encounters with Brighton, drawing one and losing two. That solitary Hammers win came in the form of a 2-1 home victory in March 1983; Brighton won the reverse fixture 3-1. The season before, Brighton won 1-0 at home following a goalless draw at West Ham. Slaven Bilic’s side will be thankful for the TV scheduling this time around – United have won both of their previous Premier League matches played on a Friday, including the 1-0 win over Tottenham last season.West Ham To Win Is 22/25Brighton have won only one of their seven league trips to West HamThe Seagulls’ league record at West Ham isn’t promising going into this one. They’ve lost four and drawn two of those visits, winning just one. Their most recent league trip to West Ham was disastrous, losing 6-0 at Upton Park in the 2011/12 Championship season. The Hammers were promoted to the Premier League via the playoffs that year, while Brighton finished tenth in the second tier. Both sides have made mixed starts to the current campaign, earning eight points each after eight fixtures.Brighton To Win Is 19/5West Ham have kept five clean sheets in their last seven home league gamesIt’s safe to say West Ham have been tough to break down at the London Stadium lately, but once a breakthrough is made the floodgates can open. They may have kept five clean sheets in their last seven Premier League matches at home, but they’ve shipped seven goals in the two games in which they’ve conceded; three against Spurs last month and four against Liverpool last season. The hosts must find a way to stay in games if they concede or they might find themselves slipping down the table.Over 2.5 Away Goals Is 12/1Brighton have scored just once in four away games in the Premier League this seasonFortunately for West Ham, they’re up against a Brighton side who’ve had trouble putting the ball in the net on the road so far this term. Solly March’s header in the 2-1 defeat at Bournemouth last month remains their only Premier League goal in four away matches this season. Chris Hughton’s side have lost three and drawn one of those four games, their only point coming in the 0-0 draw at ten-man Watford in August. Improved form on the road may be the key to Brighton’s survival come the end of the season.West Ham To Win With A Clean Sheet Is 19/10Pascal Gross has been directly involved in 83% of Brighton’s Premier League goalsWith two goals and three assists, Pascal Gross has had a hand in five of Brighton five league goals this term. That’s 83%, the best ratio in the top flight. Since August 2015, Gross has created the same amount of goalscoring opportunities for teammates as Kevin de Bruyne (211); only five players in Europe’s top five leagues have created more than that in the same period, which shows just how important the German is to Albion.Gross To Score First Is 12/1 West Ham United players celebrate 📊 Stats🔎 Analysis💁♂️ Tips🐦 Social MediaYou’ll find it all on the 🆕 Unibet Blog 📲 https://t.co/mNjGJhI7hT pic.twitter.com/xBNW3duNWW— Unibet (@unibet) October 18, 2017
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! CAZENOVIA, Wis. – A teenager who pried open his family’s gun cabinet brought two weapons to his rural school Friday and shot the principal to death after a struggle with adults and other students, authorities said. The 15-year-old was taken into custody and charged as an adult with murder, the district attorney said. No one else was hurt. Authorities said the teen had complained about being teased by other students and decided to confront teachers and the principal using a shotgun and handgun taken from his parents’ bedroom. The shooting also came one day after the principal gave him a disciplinary warning for having tobacco, according to a criminal complaint.
Oliver Burke found the net for RB Leipzig in a 4-0 friendly match win for the Bundesliga side over Rangers.Timo Werner scored the opener for the home side after 21 minutes, racing through the centre of the Rangers defence to round Wes Foderingham and finish into the empty net, despite the best efforts of Danny Wilson.Burke doubled RB Leipzig’s advantage just before the half time break, making the most of a rapid counter attack and a cutting pass from Werner.Mark Warburton handed a starting place to new signing Jon Toral, with loan signing Emerson Hyndman coming off the bench for the second half. The hosts added a third after the interval through Yussuf Poulsen, with Werner once again providing the assist with a neat cut back.And the scoring was completed with 10 minutes left to play when Poulsen found the net for the second time, putting the finishing touches on a 4-0 win for RB Leipzig over the Scottish Premiership side.
The Ontario Ministry of Education is investing $2.1 million to increase childcare spaces at Indian Creek public school in Chatham.The provincial government funding will support 49 new childcare spaces and three new childcare rooms at the elementary school, stated a media release from the Lambton Kent District school board on Friday.“From modernizing our curriculum to revitalizing our classrooms and their facilities, we are investing in our students and giving them every tool to achieve their full potential,” said Education Minister Stephen Lecce in the release. “Our financing of this childcare addition in Chatham further demonstrates our government’s historic investment in Ontario’s schools and childcares, as well as our overall commitment to supporting our students and families.”Chatham-Kent––Leamington MPP Rick Nicholls called the funding “great news for our community.“This investment will provide choice and flexibility for families and new opportunities for the children of Chatham,” he added.The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario currently operates a before-and-after school program at the school. Through this community partnership, the school board is also able to further support families and promote successful transitions to school.“Partnerships like this greatly enable us to achieve our mission of building healthy communities,” said Jo-elle Rinker, vice-president of children’s educational services of the YMCA of Southwestern Ontario.“The opening of additional licensed childcare spaces aligns with the Ministry of Education’s vision of accessibility, affordability, inclusivity, and quality programming for children and families. This is fantastic news for Chatham-Kent, as we value our children and understand the importance of early brain development,” said Kelly Emery, the Municipality of Chatham-Kent director’s of child care and early years division.The board’s senior administration will be working with the ministry and school to finalize a plan and timelines for construction. The school board will also be meeting with the childcare provider to discuss future plans for the site.“We greatly appreciate the investment of the Government of Ontario to support local families through a new childcare addition at Indian Creek Road public school,” said LKDSB chair Jane Bryce. “The Lambton Kent District School Board and community partners will continue to work together to support families with their child care needs and facilitate a successful transition to school.”
Share This!This week was a week that included a great national holiday — National Chocolate Cake Day! I celebrated with a delightful piece of delicious chocolate goodness. If you didn’t…it’s never too late to celebrate! Enjoy a piece right now.If you missed the news this week, I have it for you. You can catch up on a great interview with Disney Legend X Atencio, learn about a new shop slated for Disney Springs, and more.In Case You Missed It – Disney and Universal Orlando News and Rumors You may remember the story of Walt Disney Company employees who had to train their replacements from about a year ago. Well, a couple of the former tech workers are filing a lawsuit accusing the company and two outsourcing firms of conspiring to replace workers with less costly foreign ones using H-1B visas.This is a fantastic interview! D23 recently interviewed Disney Legend X Atencio about his days as a Disney storyteller.Could a new Hawaiian retailer be coming to Disney Springs? According to the Orlando Business Journal, that would be a yes.A new venue is on tap to be built for the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex. What would you like to see?I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again. If you are not reading Floyd Norman’s blog, you need to be! This week he talks about the Walt Disney that he knew.Star Wars and Marvel…looks like they are continuing forever.Disney Historian David Gerstein shares his thoughts about the recently rediscovered Oswald Short that will be able to be found as part of an exclusive digital bonus on the Disney Movies Anywhere app.To make way for the refreshed The Muppets which comes back from its winter hiatus next week, a fun video was released that flashes back, in a good way.In Case We Missed ItWhat did we miss? Attach your ideas to an Cupid Mickey and send it to email@example.com with the words “In Case You Missed It” in the subject line.