PENOBSCOT COUNTY, Maine — Penobscot County’s emergency dispatch center experienced a series of malfunctions over the weekend, becoming the state’s third system to break down in as many months. Public safety officials say they are not worried about the system’s reliability, and they feel confident the backup systems are adequate to ensure the system would function in a major emergency. FairPoint officials said Monday they are working to correct the problems. The malfunctions have come at a sensitive time for FairPoint Communications as it takes over the northern New England assets of Verizon. The company says the 911 equipment and the people maintaining it have not changed since the purchase. When the caller couldn’t get through on 911, the person called the local police department directly. ”We’re doing the diagnostics and analysis again, trying to identify this problem,” said company spokesman Jeff Nevins. ”It’s a priority for us. We’re doing everything we can to get the center back up and operating.” ”At least they have a plan,” said James Ryan, executive director of the Penobscot County center. ”I’m not going to switch (911 calls) back until I know the system is going to work.” ”However, these little things keep popping up. Yes, we are concerned.” The latest problems appear unrelated to malfunctions that occurred at the Cumberland County center in Windham and the state police center in Gray, and state officials and FairPoint are at a loss to explain why so many problems are happening at the same time. The Penobscot County Communications Center in Bangor, which dispatches emergency calls for 88 public safety agencies, suffered three shutdowns of its 911 system over the weekend. Although the symptoms are similar to malfunctions at the Windham and Gray centers, the cause – a software configuration problem – does not appear to be the same. Penobscot County had the same software system checked and changed last month. It appears the problems are different from those at the other centers, but until they pinpoint the breakdown, he could not be sure. In the May 27 malfunction in Gray and during this weekend’s problems in Penobscot County, the switchover to a backup center was performed quickly and without problems, officials said. ”We’re assured the problems are limited to those (few) systems, and that the majority of those of us that have the other type of system don’t have to worry about it,” said Sonia Moeller, vice president of the Maine Emergency Dispatchers Association. Ryan said the rescue call was dispatched within a few seconds of the original call. Ryan does not believe the system was down for very long – the trouble was discovered at 9:30 a.m. – because only one caller reported having a problem. To prevent that from happening again, the company installed a switch at the Windham facility, which gives dispatchers the ability to send 911 calls to the backup center in Gray without the telephone company’s involvement. The problem was diagnosed as a software configuration issue. The county system was reset and taking calls again at 3:30 p.m. By 5 p.m. it had shut down again, and the calls were again rerouted.Staff Writer David Hench can be contacted at 791-6327 or at: [email protected] The 911 system at the Cumberland County dispatch center malfunctioned seven times between April 17 and May 17. After dispatching an ambulance, police notified the center and calls were then rerouted. During one of the Cumberland County breakdowns, the telephone company delayed switching 911 calls to the backup center for an hour because of a communications problem. Nortel, the company that designed the equipment, says the power supply may be at fault. Nortel was delivering two new power supply components to the center Monday night. Ten days later, the system at the state dispatch center in Gray unexpectedly shut down. Nevins said the company has called in Shared Technologies, which provides some of the switching technology, and Nortel, which designed the network. Most systems in the state run on different technology and are not affected, but the problems are generating concern nevertheless. The failures, which involve a particular type of 911 answering system, have frustrated and puzzled public safety officials, technicians and FairPoint Communications, which inherited the systems when it bought Verizon’s telephone network in northern New England in March. When Penobscot County went down Friday morning, a caller would have received a busy signal. It was fixed at those two centers and at the four other dispatch centers that use the same type of system, including Penobscot County. Its 911 calls are being routed to the center’s backup, the state Department of Public Safety barracks in Orono, while technicians and engineers work to fix the problem. Cumberland County and the state Department of Public Safety had to contend with breakdowns earlier this spring. The recurring problem also weakens faith in a system that often is the lifeline between people in emergencies and the rescue workers they need. Ryan said residents should continue to call 911 in an emergency, because all calls are being received, recorded and dispatched without problems, just through the state barracks instead of the county.
Disappointed Slavia football player Vladimír Coufal during the match of the 3rd round of the Fortuna League with FK Pardubice. Vlastimil Vacek, Right
FUTURE STARS—From left: Joshua Dalton, Zion Hickman, back, Caleb Dalton, middle, and Kimere Mack, after a practice for the Paulson Jr. Pirates youth baseball team in Pittsburgh. (Photo by Rob Taylor Jr.)When the Pittsburgh Pirates faced the Boston Red Sox in a make-up game at Fenway Park last Thursday (April 13), they had three Black players in the lineup: Andrew McCutchen (RF), Josh Harrison (2B) and Josh Bell (1B).You’ll hurt your eyes trying to find another team with as many Black players starting a MLB game.Of the eight starting field positions for the Pirates, three are occupied by African American players. According to MLB.com’s depth charts of all 30 teams from April 13, no other team in the National League had more than two Black starters, and only one team in the American League, the Oakland Athletics, had three. There were four teams that had no Black players as starters (Astros, Padres, Nationals, Rockies).CHARLES SAUNDERS, LOCAL RBI DIRECTORA report by USA Today revealed that African Americans made up just 8 percent of MLB opening day rosters in 2016.[pullquote]The Pittsburgh Pirates have more Blackeveryday players than any other team in the National League, but some say more must be done to keep Black youth interested in the game[/pullquote]But with McCutchen as the face of the organization over the past seven seasons, and the emergence of Harrison and Bell, does this translate into more Pittsburgh Black youth becoming interested in baseball?There are kids like Lincoln resident Caleb Dalton, 9, a member of the Paulson Jr. Pirates, who told the New Pittsburgh Courier he likes playing baseball, especially hitting. “I like how I play, and I like how I succeed in baseball,” Dalton said. “(Hitting) feels wonderful.”Caleb has a brother, Joshua, 7, also on the team. Their mother, Monique Dalton, said her sons playing baseball “teaches them discipline, following direction, team-playing, resilience and not giving up.”
Image Courtesy: Getty/EPAAdvertisement cvl5pNBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs7vgipWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre Eduo( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) amlWould you ever consider trying this?😱7zCan your students do this? 🌚xcxRoller skating! Powered by Firework Following the completing of his transfer to Inter Milan, former Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku has received criticism from former club superstar and all time legend Gary Neville, who shamed Lukaku of being ‘overweight’ and ‘unprofessional’.Advertisement Image Courtesy: Getty/EPAAfter a series of rumours and speculations, the 26 year old Belgian’s transfer has finally completed today, after the Red Devils agreed on reported fee of €80 million from the Serie A giants- a five year contract at San Siro and £300,000 per week wage.However, the former United right back has given Lukaku enough slack on social media.Advertisement In a Twitter conversation with United We Stand editor Andy Mitten, the former England captain stated:”He [Lukaku] admitted he was overweight! He is over 100kg! He’s a Manchester United player!” suggesting this was the reason for the Belgium international’s move away from Old Trafford.“He will score goals and do well at Inter but unprofessionalism is contagious.” Neville added.Advertisement The recent times hasn’t been the best for Lukaku. He repeatedly made himself absent from training, and also missed United’s pre season friendlies, reason being his tussle with gaffer Solskjær, as he already had his heart set for the Nerazzuris.However, Neville’s comments on the forward’s body weight doesn’t really hold true, considering the leaked speed stats of Lukaku and his teammates last week, where he was clocked to be second fastest (36.25km/h).Also, check out this photo by teammate Alexis Sánchez on his official instagram story. Lukaku appears to be far from overweight.Image Courtesy: Instagram(@alexis_officia1) Advertisement
By Aneeka Simonis VICROADS has come out acknowledging that the deadly Kooweerup-Healesville Road is in urgent need of a safety…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.