Landers opened the scoring with an 83-yard pass play to Malcolm Murray, who caught a short pass, broke one tackle and was off to the races just 23 seconds into the game. Serra scored on its next possession when Landers’ 18-yard pass play to Murray (seven catches, 156 yards) set up Winston’s 32-yard scamper into the end zone. Serra led, 14-0, with 7:20 left in the first quarter. Winston added a 55-yard touchdown run in the second quarter. “We watched them play Peninsula and North Torrance and it’s all big plays with them,” Torrance coach Rock Hollis said. “They don’t grind it out. They like big plays and that’s how they beat us tonight.” Serra helped Torrance (2-2) stay in the game with 10 penalties for 78 yards. The Tartars took advantage by continuing to pound the ball. With 3:18 left in the second quarter, Torrance went 64 yards on 10 plays, highlighted by fullback Ryan Davis’ 21-yard gain on a trap, and culminated by Keami Owens’ 1-yard touchdown plunge, his first score of the season. Owens had 23 carries for 125 yards for Torrance, which pulled to within 28-14 with the touchdown. Even when winning the game was out of reach, Torrance kept plugging away on the ground. In the fourth quarter, Owens’ 19-yard run set up Davis’ 9-yard touchdown scamper to pull Torrance to within 35-21 with 5:42 left. Torrance stopped Serra on its next possession, then drove to the Cavaliers’ 5-yard line before a fourth-down pass by Jack McCormick sailed long. “We didn’t play tough against West last week,” Hollis said. “We worked on being tougher in practice. “Our object was to run the ball better and by God we ran the heck out of the ball.” Davis had nine carries for 78 yards and a touchdown and Michael Andrews had 25 carries for 65 yards and a touchdown for Torrance. Serra had to show some grit of its own in the second half. With three starting linemen out of action, the Cavaliers had to rely on backups to stop Torrance’s running game. In the second half, Torrance’s possessions ended on a fumble, a punt, a touchdown and once it turned the ball over on downs. Junior Anthony Carpenter had a 52-yard fumble return for a touchdown in the second quarter to help Serra’s cause. [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! PREP FOOTBALL: Winston gains 215 yards on 17 carries to lead the Cavaliers by the Tartars. By Dave Thorpe Staff writer Torrance showed grit. Serra countered with athleticism. Torrance ground it out. Serra moved swiftly across the field. Torrance did what it set out to do on offense, rushing for 268 yards and three touchdowns. But Serra’s big-play ability on both sides of the ball was too much for Torrance. Serra had more than 200 yards on the ground and through the air and did just enough on defense to emerge with a 35-21 nonleague victory Thursday night at Torrance. Junior running back Carl Winston did a lot of the damage for Serra (3-0), rushing for 215 yards and three touchdowns on 17 carries. Winston’s 23-yard touchdown run with 9:01 left in the fourth quarter gave Serra a 35-14 lead, finally putting away a pesky Tartars squad that refused to go away. “Big ups to Torrance,” Winston said. “They came out hard. But we got the win.” Even with an inexperienced offensive line, Serra showed a balanced offense. Quarterback Ted Landers was 10-for-17 passing for 206 yards and a touchdown.
Luiz never made a competitive appearance for Manchester City REVEALED targets LIVING THE DREAM moving on Liverpool’s signings under Michael Edwards – will Minamino be the next big hit? three-way race Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ Villa have signed ten new players since winning the Championship play-off final in May, taking their summer spending to more than £100million. Kevin De Bruyne ‘loves Man City and wants to keep winning’, reveals father 1 Where every Premier League club needs to strengthen in January LATEST The biggest market value losers in 2019, including Bale and ex-Liverpool star Chelsea confident of beating Man United and Liverpool to Sancho signing “Aston Villa is delighted to announce the signing of Douglas Luiz subject to a work permit,” the club said on their official website.Luiz, 21, joined City from hometown club Vasco da Gama in 2017, but he never featured for Pep Guardiola’s side and spent the last two seasons on loan at Spanish side Girona.Villa boss Dean Smith added: “Douglas is an extremely talented young player with an outstanding pedigree, who I am sure will fit nicely into our style and system of play.”Luiz played a key role as Brazil Under-21s won the Toulon Tournament last month and was named player of the tournament. TOP WORK LATEST TRANSFER NEWS Aston Villa have made their tenth signing this summer as Brazilian midfielder Douglas Luiz has joined from Manchester City.The Villans, who won promotion back to the Premier League last season, have landed Luiz for an undisclosed fee. Tony Cascarino backs Everton to sign two strikers for Carlo Ancelotti targets getty Cavani ‘agrees’ to join new club and will complete free transfer next summer Aston Villa warned of ‘doing a Fulham’ by ex-Premier League managerWhen does the Premier League transfer window close?
Barcelona manager Ernesto Valverde hailed Lionel Messi’s competitive spirit as his finest assetSince debuting against Jose Mourinho’s FC Porto in November 2003, Messi has become regarded as one of the greatest of all time with five Ballon d’Ors and a record 573 goals in 657 games for Barcelona.Aside from that, Messi has also won 32 titles at Camp Nou and is still going strong at the age of 31 with a league-best of 15 goals and 10 assists in just 15 games in La Liga.The Argentine forward was named as Barcelona captain at the start of this season following Andres Iniesta’s departure and appears to have settled into the role well.Zidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.“What I’d most highlight about Leo Messi is his huge sense of responsibility for the team. It shows in every game in every competition,” Valverde told BarcaTV.“What he does is not only difficult, but he does it again and again … That takes enormous mental strength.“I have never known anyone with such an amazing competitive spirit.”Messi and Barcelona will return to action on Sunday away to Getafe in La Liga where they will hope to collect a win and maintain their three-point lead over second-place Atletico Madrid.
Categories: California News, Local San Diego News, National & International News, Politics FacebookTwitter AP Pentagon sends nearly 4,000 troops to the Southwest border February 3, 2019 AP, WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon said Sunday it will send 3,750 more troops to the U.S.-Mexico border to put up another 150 miles of concertina wire and provide other support for Customs and Border Protection.The additions will bring the total number of active-duty troops on the border to 4,350.The announcement is in line with what Acting Defense Secretary Pat Shanahan had said on Tuesday when he provided estimates for the next phase of a military mission that has grown in size and length. Critics have derided it as a political ploy by the White House as President Donald Trump seeks billions to build a border wall.Shanahan said on Tuesday that several thousand more troops would be sent mainly to install additional wire barriers and provide a large new system of mobile surveillance and monitoring of the border area. Sunday’s announcement said the mobile surveillance mission would last through Sept. 30.Members of Congress have question whether the border mission is distracting troops from their main work of fighting extremists abroad and training for combat. The first active-duty troops were sent to the border on about Oct. 30 for a mission that was to end Dec. 15. It has since been extended twice.“What impact does it have to readiness to send several thousand troops down to the Southern border? It interrupts their training. It interrupts their dwell time,” Rep. Adam Smith, D-Wash., chairman of the House Armed Services Committee said at a hearing on Tuesday.Vice Adm. Mike Gilday, the director of operations for the Joint Staff, told the panel that he does not believe military readiness has been significantly affected. He said some units have missed training opportunities because of the deployment and others have seen less time at home between deployments than the military likes to provide.But he said there is an effort to rotate service members in and out of the mission every six to eight weeks in order to minimize any impact. Posted: February 3, 2019
Posted by Disney World to start charging parking fees for resort guests ORLANDO — Walt Disney World hotel guests will soon be charged a fee to park their cars overnight.The fee, which has been confirmed by Walt Disney World, starts with reservations made after March 21. According to the company, “standard overnight self-parking is available to registered guests for a fee that will be applied to their hotel folio upon checkout.”The new standard parking fees (which include tax) are as follows:Disney Value Resorts: US$13 per nightDisney Moderate Resorts: $19 per nightDisney Deluxe and Deluxe Villa Resorts: $24 per nightDisney Deluxe Resorts Valet Parking: $33 per nightThere are a few who will be exempt from the fees: Disney Vacation Club Members, guests at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort, guests dining or just visiting the resorts for the day, Disney cast members, as well as guests with disabilities.Guests who make a resort reservation before March 21 will not be charged for overnight parking.More news: TRAVELSAVERS welcomes Julie Virgilio to the teamFree parking will still be available to Disney hotel guests at Walt Disney World theme parks.